Glastonbury organisers have confirmed that French duo Daft Punk will not headline the UK festival next year. The news comes after Radiohead were announced as headliners for the Friday night of the event.
In an interview with NME, Emily Eavis confirmed the robots will not play in 2017, saying: "There’s no more [headliner] announcements now for a while, but I will tell you the other two that have been rumoured aren’t happening.”
"Other rumours can roll and that’s fine. Pretty much everyone is rumoured every year. That’s great, but everybody was keen to get [Radiohead] out and let people know as this was such a big one."
She also said that 90% of the line-up is now confirmed — the festival is set to take a one-year break in 2018. Eavis made no mention of the other rumoured headliners for next year’s festival, with Guns ‘N Roses, Kasabian and Ed Sheeran all allegedly in contention.
eFestivals originally reported that Daft Punk were set to headline Glastonbury 2017 earlier this month (October), when the French duo were said to be joined on the top of the bill by Radiohead and The Stone Roses.
There has been mixed messages about Daft Punk’s supposed Alive 2017 tour recently too. Rumours started last month (September) through online forum/aggregator Reddit, when a user uncovered a page on the Lollapalooza festival website dedicated to Daft Punk.
Those rumours were quickly debunked by reports that an “industry source” had confirmed that Daft Punk have no plans to perform live next year, before an eagle-eyed Redditor stumbled across Alive2017.com, a website littered with clues about the French duo.
Rob McCallum is DJ Mag’s deputy digital editor. Follow him on Twitter here.
Copyright Thrust Publishing Ltd. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.djmag.com as the source.