Police shut down an illegal rave in London over the weekend | DJMagAdmin.com Skip to main content

Police shut down an illegal rave in London over the weekend

Police shut down an illegal rave in London over the weekend

There were clashes between riot police and attendees

Scannable Document on 7 Jan 2020 at 13_51_42
Scannable Document on 7 Jan 2020 at 13_51_42

Police were called to shut down an illegal rave in London last weekend.

Following a surge in illegal events across the UK during the coronavirus lockdown, police were called to another "unlicensed music event" in Finsbury Park, North London, last Friday (17th July).

Metropolitan Police arrived at Woodberry Down estate at approximately 11PM, and remained at the estate for five hours dispersing crowds. Following the arrival of riot police, an 18-year-old man was arrested for violent disorder and obstructing police, and a 19-year-old was arrested for obstructing police.

“Specially trained public order officers entered the estate to disperse the group. They were met with further hostility and violence,” the Metropolitan Police told The Guardian. “Two officers suffered injuries. One was taken to hospital having sustained bruising to his ribs. He has since been discharged. The other officer sustained a leg injury but was able complete the remainder of his duty.”

Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner, Lucy D’Orsi, said: “The violence and disorder they encountered is totally unacceptable, as is the fear I am sure this generates amongst the local community, who called the police for help. In this case the irresponsible actions of the organiser led to injuries to our officers. Under no circumstance will policing accept this, particularly after we had appealed for such events not to take place.

Thousands of party go-ers also attended an illegal rave at an RAF base near Bath over the weekend.

In June three men aged between 21 and 28-years old were arrested on suspicion of conspiring to cause a public nuisance, after police intervened in relation to a planned gathering in Rugeley, Staffordshire. The arrests happened while a number of other illegal events were broken up across the UK, including a rave in Bolton, near Manchester, and "large parties" at Clapham Common and Tooting Bec Common in London.

Earlier this month, Over 6,000 people attended two illegal raves which took place at Daisy Nook Country Park in Oldham, and nearby Carrington, in Manchester, UK. Three men were stabbed, one man died of a suspected drug overdose, and police said they were investigating the rape of an 18-year-old woman.